Saturday, March 15, 2008

Research resources

As I'm devoting some limited free time to developing this blog, I'm finding a number of good resources for current research involving the overlap of cognitive neuroscience and education research. I have a number of articles I'm parsing through from the Public Library of Science (PLoS) journals, including PLoS Biology, PLoS Computational Biology, and PLOS one. I've also discovered the International Mind, Brain, and Education Society, a fairly recently-formed group that organizes the journal Mind, Brain, and Education. I'm thinking about joining the Society - seems right up my alley - but I'm going to have to keep looking for access to their journal as it doesn't seem available through databases I'm currently using to access subscription-based materials.

This brings up, naturally, the question of open access. I believe that open access to research - especially when in any part publicly funded - is critical to current and future development, especially that which deals with issues related to education. So, while I'm not going to stop reading through subscription-based journals as I have the opportunity, and reporting on interesting findings cogent to this blog when possible, it is likely that I will continue to focus my reading and reporting efforts using sources that will be openly available to as wide an audience as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment